Monday, November 29, 2010

The Ghost of Christmas Present


Concept and process sketches for the Ghost of Christmas Past.


Concept sketches













The Jerry Garcia look.





Final approved sketch

Black line art

Color pallet

Complementary color pallet

Add background color

Add basic figure color


More figure color

Foreground color


Candles and torch


Add glow

Face color


Rim light


I then took the illustration to my compadre, Sterling Hundley, and told him that something was really bothering me about the illustration -- that the head seemed out of place. He looked at the printout and drew a little sketch below and suggested that I tilt the head back more.

Which I did. Drawing of new head as suggested by Sterling



New head painting


Added holly highlight

Final illustration

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This is great. Tilting the head back really gave the piece more movement and added perspective. Excellent! :D